Can never go wrong with a Strawberry Pie, especially when husband approved. This strawberry pie recipe has a lemon cream cheese layer that give it just the right amount of tart and sweetness it needs.
2 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cold butter, diced
1 tbs vinegar
4 to 5 tbs ice cold water
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 to 1/2 confections sugar
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbs cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 pkg (3 oz) strawberry gelatin
1 tsp butter
- In a Thatsa Bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add vinegar and water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. (Do not skip this step, as it helps weigh the crust down so it will not bubble.) Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Spread carefully onto bottom of crust. Refrigerate while preparing topping.
- Place strawberries in a thatsa bowl. In a small saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until blended; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened and clear. Remove from heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in butter. Pour 1/2 of the gelatin mixture over strawberries, tossing gently to coat. Arrange strawberries over filling. Drizzle remaining gelatin over strawberries. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.