If you love chocolate, pecans and caramel then you will LOVE these cookies! The cookies and caramel stay soft so they are definitely a yummy treat. Not just for the holidays but for anytime. The chocolate drizzle on top of the cookie adds a little extra touch. So you can turn an ordinary cookie into a fancy cookie.
Not hard to make but do plan time to make these cookies as there are several steps to them. The cookie dough does have to be chilled for about an hour. So I will typically make another cookie recipe during that time frame. This is a simple recipe that you can even involve your kids! Just be prepared for messy hands. So take a deep breath if you are having our kids help.
One last tip: Make a double or triple batch…they will go fast!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 T (1 stick) Butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, seperated
- 1 additional egg white
- 2 T milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups pecan, finely chopped
- 1/2 bag of caramel bites
- 2- 3 T heavy cream
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp shortening
- Prepare the Cookies: Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
- Using a standing mixer combine the butter and sugar. Beat for about 2 minutes on medium-high speed. Until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low and flour mixture until just combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (1 hour).
- Whisk the 2 egg whites in a bowl until frothy.
- Chop Pecans in chop n prep chef until finely chopped, place into a bowl.
- Roll chilled dough into 1-inch balls (a cookie scoop helps with making same size), dip each ball in egg whites, and then roll into pecan pieces.
- Place balls about 2-inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Using a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon, make an indent in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake at 350° until set, about 12 minutes.
- Prepare the caramel filling: Microwave caramels and cream together in microwave safe bowl, I use the micro pitcher. Stirring occasionally until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Once cookies are removed from oven, gently re-press the indentations. Fill each indentation with about 1/2 tsp of the caramel mixture.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the Chocolate Drizzle: Melt chocolate and shortening in micro pitcher until combined. 1-2 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Place the melted chocolate into the deco pen. Drizzle chocolate over the cooled Turtle Cookies.