Do you have an abundance of zucchini currently in your freezer? The nice thing with zucchini is that it freezes wonderfully and great in baked goods. You can either shred your zucchini in batches and freeze. Or go ahead and make your muffins/breads then freeze. Can pull them out the night before you need them for a home baked good the next morning.
What are the Benefits of zucchini’s? Here are just a few things I want to point out.
- Zucchini takes on the flavor of whatever spices you put into it.
- Zucchini is packed full of vitamins and minerals.
- Low in calories, high in water and fiber
- It’s a vegetable you can hide!! Say what your kids are going to eat a vegetable that they won’t even think twice about. Here’s the thing my kids do know zucchini and it’s a vegetable. But when you are eating a flavorful zucchini chocolate chip muffin. They won’t ask any more questions.
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate chips in large bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, vanilla, and zucchini together until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold gently toether until just combined. Do not overmix batter.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F then keep muffins in oven, reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 5 min and transfer to cooling rack